Skip to main content
5900 Balcones Drive Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731 | (512) 318-2199

How to Submit a Certificate of Correction

What is a Certificate of Correction?

In order to fix mistakes made on a previous filing, you will need to file a Certificate of Correction with the Secretary of State. Once the Certificate of Correction is processed, the alterations will be made to the filing records of the SOS to reflect the correct information.

Filling Out the Certificate of Correction

Entity Information

List the name of your company as it is registered with the Texas Secretary of State. List the file number that was issued by the SOS to your business when you formed your company.

Filing Instrument to Be Corrected

A “filing instrument” is simply a fancy term for the document that you filed with the Secretary of State. You must list which document you are trying to correct. For example, if there is an error on your Certificate of Formation, then you will list “Certificate of Formation” as well as the date that the form was originally submitted.

Identification of Errors and Corrections

You must indicate what error you are trying to correct. The following items can be altered by filing a Certificate of Correction:

  • Entity Name
  • Texas Registered Agent or Office
  • Business Purpose
  • Period of Duration
  • Adding, Altering, Deleting Provisions
  • Execution
  • Entity Names for Merger, Conversion or Exchange

Please be sure to correctly fill-in the new information when making corrections, otherwise you will have to file yet another Certificate of Correction.

Filing the Certificate of Correction

A Certificate of Correction cannot be filed online. You must submit the form in duplicate to:

Secretary of State
PO Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711-3697

Or fax to: 512-463-5709

There is a $15 filing fee.